Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Distressed Canvas Artwork - My First Pinterest Project

Wednesday, March 21, 2012
I'm pretty sure I'm not alone when I say that Pinterest is somewhat addicting?  It can be a time warp like anything on the computer really, but it is a great source of inspiration and I love searching for new ideas and projects.

This project was one of my first pins and I actually completed it last summer but am just posting now!  Again, better late than never right?:)

Here is the link to the tutorial that I followed:

http://deliacreates.blogspot.com/2010/12/distressed-canvas-gifts.html

Delia, another creative gal who posted this tutorial was even kind enough to email me back when my first run at the project didn't' go so well.  Thankfully, my second time around went a lot better and I'm thrilled with the end result.



 Her instructions are very straightforward and the project is not difficult but I will offer you some advice and share the problems I encountered in hopes that you don't have the same issues!

The first time I completed the canvases, I did not apply enough gel medium and I don't' think I sprayed the photo enough.  Therefore, the ink and my image did not transfer well.  They kind of looked like ghosts:)  After rereading and emailing Delia for advice, I decided to try it again.  Thankfully, I was able to reuse my canvases by painting them out white (with latex wall paint) but I did have to get my photos reprinted.

This time I made sure to apply a good amount of gel medium and even sprayed a bit of water onto the canvas while I was spreading the gel to make sure it was good and moist. (for a lack of a better word?) After laying down my photo and smoothing it out, I also sprayed it again until I could see the whole image through, and then followed all instructions as she has listed.

I hope this post was helpful to you and maybe even inspired you:)  If you decide to try this project out, I would love to hear from you!




Oh, and of course a shout out to my crazy talented friend Dina who took these gorgeous photos for me:)
http://klutchphotography.com/#home/

Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jentiques © 2014