Friday, May 17, 2013

Vacation, Lemonade, & Vegetable Gardens

Friday, May 17, 2013
When I first started this blog, the main purpose was for my furniture.  But, like most things in life, it has slowly changed and is evolving into something a bit more than that.  

I will be thrifting and shabby chicing forever, this I know.  BUT, it seems as of late, I'm finding less time or maybe just making different choices for my time.  This means, less actual "work" as in pieces for sale, but it certainly doesn't mean I'm not always at work:)

I'm a constant thinker and analyzer of thoughts.  It doesn't help when you spend most of your time alone or alone in your head.  Yes, I am with my soon to be 3 year old ALL OF THE TIME:) But, even when she's asking me for cheese strings, snacks, crayons etc, I'm always inside my own head.  

Its just what I do.  Thinking, thinking, thinking.  Thinking about what project I should be working on.  Thinking about how I should just be okay with not always working on a project.  Thinking about how I should play with my kids more.  Thinking about how they are growing up so fast.  Thinking more about those projects in  my garage.  Thinking of whats for dinner.  Thinking of the laundry.  

Think, think, think. 

But, in all this thinking, I "think", that I have somewhat unconsciously made a decision over the last few months to try to be more in the moment.  Even though I'm fairly good at multitasking and doing all these things, painting, cooking, cleaning etc, I'm not sure that I always want to work at that level of crazy.  



Two weeks ago, my husband and I went to Hawaii (alone) to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.  




Yes, it was amazing.
And, when I'm away from everything, I am very good at being relaxed and "happy."  




It is these moments,



(rare moments), when I realize how busy I keep myself and how as much as I enjoy being busy, it reminds me that I like being not so busy sometimes too:) 




A couple of these also help to relax a bit as well. lol



And although everyday will not look like this paradise, I am trying to find it among the cleaning, cooking, and sometimes unrewarding parenting:)  I guess that's why I LOVE painting furniture etc, cause it gives me that rewarding feeling just like I had the moment I took this picture.  

Which brings me to the lemonade stand...




So last weekend, I surprised my 7 year old with a lemonade stand.  Like most kids, she has asked me probably at least half a dozen times to have one and I have turned her down every time.  For various reasons, no supplies, I was busy and didn't want to set up a stand at that moment etc.  

Which reminds me, how different times are from when "I was a kid." I'm pretty sure, that my mother NEVER helped with any of the lemonade or koolaide stands I ever had.  I also used to leave the house in the morning with my friends and ride bikes all over the neighborhood, come home at dinner time, and go to the corner store all by myself with pop bottles at her age.  Times have changed but that doesn't mean everything has too.:)

So, I got to work Friday morning while she was at school, gathered various thrifted goodies, mocked up the table plan, and made some signage.   I baked 4 dozen muffins after school.  (Cause I cant' get rid of all the crazy)  And no, she didn't even flinch when I baked all of them. This is how observant my child is. lol

And then Saturday morning I surprised her with the news!  I arranged for her "best friend" from around corner to come over and help her for the day.  This got me out of sitting outside for the entire day.  Although, I pretty much gave up my Saturday regardless.  
But, it was all worth it:)




Her little sister had to be involved somehow, of course. :)



It was a great success.  There was an annual neighborhood garage sale happening in our neighborhood the same day so that definitely increased their earnings:)

And even though, I could have spent the day painting or sanding, it was the perfect day "off." 


And I will add a small disclaimer.
Yes, I "surprised" her for some selfish reasons. I got to make the lemonade stand. 
lol

So this is how I spend my days.  Cleaning, cooking, laundry, chores, groceries, swimming lessons, driving, caring for my little munchkins, and sometimes painting and creating:)

This week I also spent an entire day working on my vegetable garden.  I have no idea why it took almost the entire day.  Perhaps my 3 year old "helper" might have been a bit of the reason.  Hence, the sections I cordoned off.  As she kept "not walking" all over the freshly planted seeds.





So for those of you who have asked or wondered, how I get things done or why am I not getting them done,   this pretty much sums it up.  It's all about how we choose to spend our time.  It can be filled with anything you want it too:)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Jentiques © 2014